Monday, February 15, 2010

Thesis in Brief ... eeek!

So here is a draft of my shortened thesis proposal, Feel free to leave comments, I would love some feedback....

For my thesis, I propose to make an Interactive Dressing Space. I hope to incorporate it with social networking and allow it to have Internet connectivity. I have gone back to my original, original idea, which is inspired by my part-time job as a shop assistant, hobbies, my own personal interests, and ideas. I hope then this will act as my driving force throughout the project. I decided to go in another direction from my proposed idea at Christmas, an installation teaching children about fire safety as a continuation from my undergraduate final year project. I felt I had lost interest in the topic and wouldn’t feel motivated by it. I am also enthusiastic to move on and learn about a different subject.

Inspiration
A wave of inspiration came to me late one night and I have many many ideas. I want to make it a fun experience for users, something they could use in their everyday routine, for it to potentially become a common feature in many households in the future. I feel the project could have huge potential and the features could be limitless. I could try and add many different features or else I could concentrate on just a few.

Technology
I propose to use RFID tags, which will be attached to the items of clothing. This will make them recognizable when a user enters the dressing space. Inside the dressing space in the room is a large mirror and a small touch screen computer mounted beside it, there is also speakers mounted beside it. I hope events such as
• Computer recognizes RFID tag on clothing item and suggests matching clothes to wear with it, whether it be something they already own, or something online
• Computer is able to locate missing pieces of clothing in the room of the dressing space through the RFID tags e.g. where are my shoes?
• Fun music may be played for different items that enter the space e.g. Red Beret = Raspberry Beret – by Prince (or the artist formally known as) etc.
• Dressing space is able to tell the user what time it is and what the weather is like through the internet
… and I have many many more ideas and diagrams!(but have been told to write only one page!)
Also inside the dressing room I hope to have a web cam, this can be used perhaps for the users to upload pictures of themselves to social networking sites etc., for them to get a better of view off themselves on the computer screen e.g. from behind or else perhaps it could be used as a motion detector to navigate on the computer screen.

Research
I am looking forward to doing my research for the topic. I hope to look into topics such as appearance, social networking, fashion, clothes, music, visuals and how they affect people. I enjoy watching and studying people and their reactions to certain things and am looking forward to discovering new things about human behavior.






I am enthusiastic to here your opinions and ideas on my project, and am willing to make adaptations and changes to it.


G x

2 comments:

  1. like the weather forecast idea, i look outside see sun but it could be -5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya then it will recomend suitable clothes!

    ReplyDelete