Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What it means for me to be a Designer?

I've never regarded myself as a designer until this year in IMedia when we were told collectively that we were. Mikael Fernstorm recommended we put the title on our business cards. I thought wow, I don't have business cards, but that's a fancy title I'd like to take!

But it does make sense I guess ever since I've been young I have always been a bit "creative". Whether it be singing, painting, drawing or playing my music, or shouting at my fellow 8 year old actor friends when they said something wrong in the play or movie I created(probabley because they couldn't read properly yet)...I could go on...but I won't embarrass myself another further...let's just say there is a few videos and tapes in the Leonard household as evidence :P

I guess as a designer it all starts with an idea. Inspiration plays a big factor. I always had good ideas, especially in primary and secondary school. But then when these were demanded of me in Unversity I could'nt think, they just flew out the window and I hit a mental block. Maybe if I was put back into a 5th year double French class again I would have some of the best ideas of my life... but I don't really see that happening.Inspiration these days hits me at the most random times. And the things that pen and paper create are endless.

But I guess when your producing work whether it be something small or a big project it is all about engaging the audience. Enticing them somehow to pay more attention, look a little further, explore and ultimately for them to be entertained in some way or another. It's about knowing your user and providing them with something that interests them...

But I also think it's about yourself. If you are happy with a product it makes you happy, and if you see something working for you, you just want to keep working on that. If something comes easily to you, you want to work as hard as you can on it.

Other peoples opinions on your work is also crucial. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's embarrassing, sometimes deep down you know it's not good and you just don't want someone else saying it out loud... but it has to be done! You benefit from it. Learn from mistakes. But also it's a major confidence boost when their response is positive.



MORE TO FOLLOW SOON.....

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment